Monday 28 May 2012

WOODS:



 It is a misty Autumn day with the smoky smell of encroaching Winter nipping at my nose. I am wrapped up snug in warm woolies. Entering the woods I pass a small tor with an opening which I nosily peep into, & to my delight I see a big brown bear curled up on a bed of leaves dreaming his hibernating dreams. Smiling, I leave him be & go on my way. As I pass beneath the inflamed canopy of Autumn, the towering ancient trees dress me in russet, orange, gold, & scarlet leaves morphing me into a woodland nymph. My footsteps crunching nature´s fall causes a fiery squirrel clutching an acorn to scarper up a tree, a red fox darts, a tawny owl hoots, & I apologise for the disturbance my crunching has caused. I find a grove of trees & sit on the damp mushroomy earth feeling her breathing. Next to me is a curled up hedgehog fast asleep. In the distance I hear the trickle of an icy waterfall as it cackles & crackles with the cold. As I look up at the lemon-drop sun weakly dappling through the trees, I feel a presence & look at the gnarled old oak tree in front of me from where appears an old lady dressed in a cloak of brown. She nods & her smile reaches kindly blue eyes. She hands me an old brown mug made of burnished wood & tells me to drink the hot steaming ginger tea, & she gives me a dark, rich chocolate biscuit telling me it has magic properties. She tells me to make a wish, she turns & disappears. My wish had already come true.

1 comment:

  1. "She tells me to make a wish, she turns & disappears. My wish had already come true."

    Love the simplicity of this...this interaction, oneness with nature.

    ReplyDelete