Sunday 13 May 2012

A POOR MAN AM I:



But a poor man, gold I cannot buy for you to wear,
Only the sun I can bestow upon you,
Golden rays to wear within your hair.
 
Although a wanderer, silver I have never found,
Only the moon can I swathe you in,
Silvery moonbeams shall be your gown.
 
Being honest, diamonds I have never seen,
 But stars shall be your jewels,
The only sparkles to make you a queen.
 
Not a connoisseur, I know not best wine,
Dew from forest morn shall quench you,
Best liquor from dawn´s young pine.
 
Being no designer, I cannot dress you in silk,
Only in cloth of field´s breeze,
Soft as gossamer, lighter than milk.
 
Being a simple man, I know not perfumes,
But of lilly & rose I give to you,
Scents to follow you from womb to tomb.
 
Having no home, I cannot give you a marble bath,
But bathe my love, in ocean´s balm,
Calming waves follow you on your path.
 
As I own no bed for you to lay your head,
Desert sands I give to you my weary love,
No softer dune, nor better to call your bed.
 
Being tone deaf, for you, I cannot serenade,
Life´s orchestra of bird & beast I offer,
Every growing twig sings every green blade.
 
Being penniless, there´ll be no ruby red, no sapphire blue,
I offer earth´s jewels, not just a few shades,
Earth has for you, a million hues.
 
No gourmet am I, & I prepare not rich fare,
On river trout & earth´s vine you will feed,
No flesh sweeter, no juice richer than wild cool pear.
 
It is for you my love, to decide on me,
Whether for you, I am rich or poor,
Is that a tear upon your cheek I see?

1 comment:

  1. whoa...sue this is moving and brilliant as it traverses from one place to the next, one situation to the next, one moment to the next, defining the truest values, the most extravagant riches, the fullest moments life has to offer…written from the true heart of a sensitive poet!

    ReplyDelete