Sunday 27 May 2012

MAMA:



Mama, babe upon your shabby back, why?
Another mouth to feed on endless mielie-pap,
Papa, he goes down the mines of gold, for us to buy,
He comes back with little & “vol van die sap”, (in Afrikaans-drunk)

Ja, Papa works for the white baas, “voetsek & kom hier”, (in Afrikaans-get lost)
Mama, you work for the white madam, she dress so fine,
Mama, Papa needs the liquor, he´s tired & it dries his tear,
I play in the township dust, it´s cheaper than water, & it´s mine.

I am of this earth Mama, don´t cry, we´ll fight,
The kops, they come again Mama, I see it in your eye,
Blood dried upon your brow Mama, what´s right? What´s wrong?
Did you forget your pass-book Mama? Is that why?

My feet are as cold as the look on your face,
Mama is this life? For this do we live?
To school I go it´s true, but to learn of the white race,
As grains of sand, the fine sifts through, leaving the black behind.

My country, my continent, black, free & wild,
Tell me Mama, do you know to read & write?
I´m of here & proud, just a black human child,
One day I´ll take the babe off your back, & the pain from your sight.

Mama, your Papa, he died in jail, I know,
Your Mama of a broken heart, they say,
White men in suits say change must be slow,
Mama, it´s them that one day will dearly pay.

Bitter I´m not, violence I hate, my only grudge, a tight black skin,
Through the eyes of a child of the black folk, I see,
Mama, the world is not black, nor white, but of many colours, we´ll win,
One day Mama, you´ll shed your shabby back,
One day Mama, you will be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment