Monday 21 May 2012

AFRICAN TREES:



Sequoia red Woods, pine, ash & elm,
Stand over & guard their sacred realm,
Oak, beech, willow & fragrant bay,
Canopy when ambling on my way.

Olive, fig, &  Spanish cork tree wild,
Shade for sleepy goat & tired child,
Palm of Tropical coconut & date,
My thirst & appetite may sate.

But how I long for my African trees,
Their fragrance drifting on dusty breeze,
Their wisdom of ancient lore, yet untold,
As blankets, their foliage, my soul enfolds.

Baobab  my teacher, my mentor, my school,
Protector from searing heat, keeping me cool,
Peppercorn pungent, peppery memories,
Spicy with bushy childhood reveries.

Mopani, kissed  warm by African hue,
Blushing shyly in dawn´s pink dew,
The quiver tree & the acacia gold,
Their absence makes me feel, oh so old.

Jacaranda,  syringa, smoky mauve & blue,
Devil white thorn tree, I am missing all of you,
Mimosa & frangipani, in watered oasis & African plain,
The yearning I have for you, can only be called pain.

Some give fruit, nuts & seeds, others just stay bare,
Some with their leaves embrace, while others just stand & stare,
But I miss you from deep within my soul, I cannot lie,
An African tree shall shade my soul until the day I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment