Monday 13 January 2014

WHO?



“Tell me Mamma, who were they?”
Those people you talk to when you kneel & pray,
Who was that old lady, the one you now call Nan?
And the one in uniform, that handsome young man?

Nan was your grandmother, now so long, long ago,
In the uniform is your Papa, you never got to know,
Your Nan died of old life & your Papa in the last war,
Bring the old album child & I´ll show you some more.

The miner you see, he was your grandpa, so very brave,
He lost his life, but due to him, many lives were saved,
That sepia photograph that has your same sweet face,
She was your auntie, who once lived in this very place.

Who are they Mamma, on yellow pages of fading eyes?
Who are those faces, which upon old sepia pages lie?
They are all family my child, but now all with lost names,
Memory has a way with the mind, to play its silly games.

All now fading memories, melting within old mists of time,
Mere faces & pages crumbling, having now lost their shine,
Mamma, when I am gone one day, will I be forgotten too?
No my child, how could anyone ever forget somebody like you?

No comments:

Post a Comment