Saturday 5 May 2012

AFRICA MY AFRICA



When Africa called my name I wept,
Limpopo tears sketching ancient tracks upon my cheek,
In the bushman´s arms, warmly rocked, I slept.
Africa my Africa, in night´s dreams, you, I sadly seek.

Okavango dawn & Kalahari sun I crave,
Choking dust familiar, & of you I reek,
Black night deep, black man brave,
I cry as the crocodile yawns, & the lion slinks sleek.


 Bleeding shrike bleeds as my battered soul,
Fleeting smile on old wrinkled face of teak,
I long to see the impala at his rare water hole,
Since leaving you my Africa, I am sad, I am bleak.

Africa called my name & I wept,
Makgadikgadi winds took my hopes, leaving me weak,
The clouds   dropped my sleepy tears in the Zambezi & I slept,
Dreaming dusty dreams, with Africa running down my cheek.

1 comment: