Thursday 27 June 2013

KWERI:



Soft clicking tongue from the lips of a thousand dunes,
Calling spirits, ancestors & rain in your chanting tunes,
Telling me of the Gods who live beyond my wary eye,
Showing me that when I am dead, I´ll never really die.

Kweri, you were my golden black-river Bushman friend,
Of my childhood, in the world´s far away & distant end,
In Kalahari where you talk to birds & the beasts in herds,
Your code-lost-lingo, on red-dust-clad breeze softly heard.

You taught me herbs & how to track beast´s print & spoor,
How to feel rain clouds & life beneath the dry desert floor,
Showing me secrets of skin drum, of red dusk & rosy dawn,
Of how to interpret the night & how to embrace new morn.

Your people, nomad scatterings & scatterlings of ancient plain,
Land you´ve walked for eons, not permitted to rightfully claim,
Of bow & arrow, clicking tongue, of golden soft & signing hand,
In my dying, Kweri, I hear your soft sighing in the shifting sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment