Monday 17 June 2013

CLOISTERS:



Wandering through whispering halls of eons past,
Places where the sacred words of God linger & last,
You of ministries, monasteries, secret mantles drawn,
Of convents & abbeys, sweet chantings sung at dawn.

Not of Amish anguished, shying from the outer world,
Not minion simple, nor Mennonite from society hurled,
You, throwing your splendid spired arms into God´s sky,
You yelling, chanting, singing, “Lord be praised, here am I”,

Garbed in filigreed fog & ivy, ice-cold & dark greenly creeping,
Lullaby´d by Gothic chantings & by doubting novice weeping,
Soft clicking of old rosary beads, sweaty & nervously fingered,
Nuanced shadows of incense, waltzed, wafted & sickly lingered.

You, who’s God brings the cloven-hoofed sinners to humble heel,
Threatening hell´s brimstone to all horned ones refusing to kneel,
Sanguined glass stained with blood, altar, font & old eagled lectern,
Do not tempt nor lure me in, to bow beneath God´s eyes so stern.

Be it the tabernacle, chapel, church or humble evangelistic hall,
It matters not where I kneel & pray, nor in the end where I so fall,
My God is God in everywhere & my God is in absolutely everything,
He´s in all Holy books & in all we say, all we pray & everything we sing.

But ancient cloisters built in stone, in wood & wistful bloody tears,
Stand mighty through old centuries & strong through passing years,
I now stand before your beauty & bow down to your exquisite calm,
This place where I feel the glory of God & receive his blessed balm.

No comments:

Post a Comment