Monday 3 September 2012

ALAMEDA GARDENS:



When I return to earth & am reborn,
I want not to be a velvet rose with painful thorn,
I want not to be a dragonfly, or tall strong tree,
No albatross flying over sparkling cyan sea,
No human, no beast, no beautiful bloom,
No babe in womb, no ivy-draped tomb,
Lord, send me not to balmy-palm-clad isle,
Not to forests with streams, nor the ancient Nile.
Not to deserts with shifting dunes,
Not to meadows dappled with moons.
I ask you please to give me ebony plume,
Sunshine-beak, beady eye & voice of tune,
Let me be a simple, joyful blackbird,
Please don´t let my prayer go unheard,
Place me in Gibraltar´s Alameda Garden,
Where my heart would never, ever harden,
Where blooms are kissed by Levante´s dew,
Where trickling fountains remind me of you,
Where leaves, ferns & fronds abound,
And life on earth, within, resounds.
Where graves of long-gone children sit,
Among tropical shrubs still & moonlit,
Where foliage from the old world & new,
Blossom beneath Gibraltar´s sky blue,
Where breezes waft & two oceans meet,
Where Gibraltar´s straits lie calm & replete,
Where Atlantis deeply lies & Africa smiles,
Wed by so-few promising watery miles,
While Alameda breathes a contented sigh,
I, as the blackbird in my shadowy nest shall lie.


No comments:

Post a Comment