Wednesday 6 June 2012

MARULA DAWN:



My Africa, I cry with the memory of you,
I cry with an aching sadness,
A dusty sadness of green river old & blue moon new.

African nights lull me till marula dawn,
Limpopo tears wash me along dreary days,
The sleepy hippo of my mind stifles a yawn.

Sunset cricket screeches at the sun to go,
How she dies, as silent as a Bushman´s whisper,
Black night, black man & black river continue to flow.

Mimosa dreams invade my being,
Oh God, how sweet smell syringa winds,
Behind jacaranda lids, existence without seeing.

 The Beat of drum echoes upon ancient Kalahari sky,
The shrike bleeds with a purpose, the vulture prays, the beast & I weep,
A shrubby plain remains on my dreamy wet pillow; why?

Oh Africa, my Africa, my soul from you is torn,
A million miles away am I, but in this neon world I sit,
And as neurotic morn flies, I pretend it´s a marula dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment