Wednesday 1 October 2014

GIVE ME MELONS:


Don´t give me the apples, of Eve´s evil sin,

Of Golden Delicious, Fuji, nor Cox’s Pippin,

No peaches, pineapples nor grainy green pears,

Forget the strawberries, I´m not splitting hairs,

Don´t mention the tiny & humble sweet grape,

Small & tasteless enough, for us to jest & jape,

No apricot & plum, with their sour hard peel,

No tropical mango, nor kiwi, too hairy to feel,

Forget banana, mush to touch & bland to taste,

Give me melons; the rest would be such a waste,

Watermelon, cantaloupe, red juice upon my chin,

Round, smooth, oval, or rough as old toad´s skin,

Honeydew or Crenshaw, flesh, orange, pink, white,

Cool, juicy & sweet, of the Sharlyn or Musk delight,

Rivulets & droplets, perfumed nectar upon the tongue,

Give me fecund melons, ripened beneath God´s sun,

Merely melancholic flesh, of earth´s entrailed gourd,

Long live the melon & it´s juice-blood well insured.

No comments:

Post a Comment