Sunday 27 October 2013

COUNTRY MEANDERINGS:



I walk these old Welsh lanes & what do I see?
Between flocks of sheep, a fox peeping at me,
With twitching red ears & his small beady eyes,
Then gone in a flash, with the squawk of magpies.

The pheasants in their finery strutting fine plumes,
Little jays & tits serenading in sweet country tunes,
Baby bunnies darting & the fleeing of brown hare,
On icy Welsh thermals, the red-kite takes to the air.

Big shire-horses clopping down hedge-hoary-lanes,
Stripy badger peeping, as new moon ebbs & wanes,
Little-robin-red-breast, among hedge´s new berries,
Camouflaged as fruits, rosehip & scarlet red cherries.

Behind cosy warm windows, cats observing my walking,
Silence of grey mists, with only crows doing their talking,
Did I spy a raven rare, a jackdaw, or maybe just a rook?
And was that an otter I hear, down by Potter´s Brook?

Squirrels in their trees, munching acorns from old oaks,
Over distant valleys, I spy bent chimneys curling smoke,
And as the moon lies low & velvet night begins to turn,
Old owl in his tree calls, “I know one day you will return”.

No comments:

Post a Comment