Saturday 3 May 2014

CREDIT WHERE IT´S DUE SONNY:


You deem me with distain sonny, as passé, old & out,

But within my heart sonny, there is still a wily shout,

So it down, shut up & now listen carefully to what I say,

And after that sonny, get up, get out & be along your way.

 

I ate what was given sonny & had to thank God for it too,

I climbed trees & scraped knees, under skies of grey & blue,

I went to bed when told sonny & learned never to moan,

To apologize when I was wrong & beware if I ever groaned.

 

I was educated sonny, long before your own conception,

To you that may be a shock, surprise & even deception,

And sonny, before you were even a baby in wet nappy,

With no hi-tech gadgets sonny, I so knew how to be happy.

 

No techno-jargon, no computer, no kindle, pods & pads,

No apps, no face-book, no twitter & my life was never bad,

I offered seats to my elders & spoke to them with manners,

I helped mama in the house & dad with his car & spanners.

 

When I was taught I listened & knew all about the world,

Continents, rivers, numbers & how new leaves unfurled,

I knew my history of nations, of wars, Knights & old Kings.

To tell time on proper clocks, not just those digital things.

 

I knew my poetry & grammar, my nouns, spelling & verbs,

I spoke with respect & clearly, in real & eloquent words,

I grew up, was polite to the girls & always true to my wife,

And for my family & country, I would have given my own life.

 

I fought for my nation sonny, for every man, woman & child,

I saw things in life sonny, that turns even a good man wild,

So sonny, please show a little respect & credit where it´s due,

And remember boy, if it wasn´t for me, there´d never be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment