Sunday 9 March 2014

A LOVE TOO GREAT:


The battle drums rumbled across distant sea,

You were enlisted, armed & then you left me,

You left with promises of your love undying,

And on your return, wedded knot we´d be tying.

 

Time passed by, in death & awful destructions,

War raged & your fate left to my deductions,

Until early one dawn, upon my window sill,

I found the dove, lying ragged & so very still.

 

Little white bird, feathers wet, tattered & wilted,

Her fragile twigged legs, trembling, dirty & silted,

Her small glassy eye searched my face & quivered,

I held her in my hand, as in slow death, she shivered.

 

From the little bird´s beak, I retrieved missive from you,

You´d sent your love from afar & over ocean´s she flew,

But there is no love on earth, that can be ever so great,

To cause the death of a dove & I now cannot reciprocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment