Monday 9 December 2013

CHRISTMASES PAST:



“Granddad, do you remember Christmases past?”
“Yes son I do, even though they´ve flown so fast”,
“Please tell me Granddad, what were they like?
What were your presents, did you ever get a bike?
What did you eat, good things fit for a prince´s table?
“Tell me Granddad, all about that babe in the stable”.

“Presents were few son, all made by my father´s hand,
Rag dolls for girls, from left over scraps & filled with sand,
A wooden top for me, hewn, carved & painted bright red,
Left with a sugar mouse, Christmas Eve, at end of the bed,
All food was scarce, but always hot & our tummies filling,
And mum said that all tasted good, if the heart was willing.”

“Then, Jesus was the reason why Christmas was celebrated,
And his story, in front of the fire, by Dad, was always narrated,
We had so little back then & yet we always shared so much,
Then, all was done with love, hugs, heart, soul, such & such,
Son, Christmases were so very different, way, way back when,”
“Granddad, please take me with you, to the Christmases of then”.

No comments:

Post a Comment