Monday 7 January 2013

THE PIANO TUNER:



Once upon long ago, upon a very long, long time,
I lived deep in the bush, under hot African sunshine,
Of hardened feet & my skin marula-nutted & brown,
Far away from running water, lighting, telly & town,
I was Just a little bush baby, a wild white African girl,
Of freckled snub nose & sun-kissed, wild auburn curl.

Ma said, “A savage now you are & it´s culture you need,”
So she started in earnest upon her dire evil & urgent deed,
It was music she favoured, so hunting low & searching high,
And through bush telegraph, message racing through hot sky,
Brought across oceans in a very big ship, mama´s old piano,
Delivered & wheeled through dust in an old red wheelbarrow.

Plink-Plunk, bored, I tried my best to practice each & every day,
But I´d rather be free with the wild animals to gambol, run & play,
Mama rapped my knuckles & kept my stubborn nose to the grind,
But in the bush, the piano was out of sight & totally out of my mind,
I´d run free through the bush with joy, glee & bare-footed little toes,
 I´d swim through water-lilied homes of the big yawning grey hippos.

But then one hot day through tunes & scales, the piano lost its song,
It just sounded so flat & so sad & every note just sounded so wrong,
So Mama once again, hunted & searched for someone to come & fix,
Not an easy task mind you, when you´re living right out in the sticks,
One day through a cloud of dust, our old clapped out jeep appeared,
Dad driving in the front, & there was an old gent sitting back in the rear.

“This is the piano tuner,” said daddy from the dusty jeep quite far away,
But having already lost interest, I was on my way to frolic & joyfully play,
This man had a white stick, wore very dark glasses & was so totally blind,
He piqued my interest, so stooped, so old & with a smile so gentle & kind.
He said sadly, it was the heat & the dust, that had maimed & hurt the tune,
For two whole days he plinked & plunked, from morning until the full moon.


At last he smiled with the sun on his face & said, “Eureka, all is now finally well,”
 Being a pest & in simple childhood, I asked him, “How can you actually tell?”
Without a single word, he turned to me with his smile & simply began to play,
His music was magic & chased away the flies & heat of the long African day,
“Green-sleeves” danced through the halls of the bush, leaving me teary & weak,
As a single solitary teardrop rolled down the piano tuner´s old wrinkled cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment