Saturday 13 June 2015

WHY LEAVE THESE ISLANDS?


Why do you leave these islands my child?

You of golden skin, with your eyes so wild,

Why leave these shores of ocean´s lapping?

To go to those lands, of soul´s sad sapping.

 

Why leave these islands, of palm trees swaying?

Where the dolphins & turtles are forever playing,

Why leave these sands where gold seashells sleep?

To go to cold darkened lands, where people weep.

 

Why leave your islands child, of sweet perfumed air?

Where maidens weave blooms within long dark hair,

Why leave these islands, of rum & hibiscus flower?

To go where people only talk of money & cruel power.

 

Papa, I leave these islands, merely to follow my love,

Guided by my God, & the birds who fly high above,

But Papa, if I don´t find him, then to you, I shall return,

Guided from above, by the clouds, & my island´s erne.

 

 

1 comment: