Thursday 9 May 2013

THE LEFTOVER:



There´s a pet shop in Main Street, on the old edge of town,
Where all people stop & either gently smile or sadly frown,
Kittens, puppies & sun-feathered birds sing in cages of tears,
Where mice & bunnies burrow beneath their sawdust fears,
Where fish of gold & everything for the pampered pet is sold,
But, where at night, the door is locked & all is dark & very cold.

In the window there´s a cage of puppies, all sizes, sorts & types,
Big, small, spotty, fluffy, those of coloured & very strange stripes,
Folk tap on glass, coo, enter, choose & eventually pick one & buy,
But one little puppy is always there, the same one, left high & dry,
He is the one that nobody chooses, a runt & an ugly little fellow,
Of no special breed, of no beauty & with fur a dull & dirty yellow.

New puppies came & puppies went, but he just stayed put there,
Little head on his paw, he would just watch, wonder & sadly stare,
Then one day an old lady appeared, looked in & almost passed by,
But she stopped at the pet shop window, peered in & met his eye,
Staring into each other’s souls, the puppy & old woman both knew,
The shop keeper said, “Madam, tomorrow there´ll be better & new”.

“I don´t want new, I want him”, pointing at the pup, she tartly said,
“But the pup is just a cur, a left over”; he said & scratched his head,
“I never married & I was never chosen nor ever loved, my dear man,
I´ve no friends, no babies of my own & no one will ever call me Nan,
So I shall take him home with me now, even though it wasn’t my plan,”
She smiled with a tear in her rheumy eye & the puppy just licked her hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment