Wednesday 27 May 2015

I AM ONLY HERE FOR THE NIBBLES:


“You are invited to our summer night´s soiree”,

Said the card, “& please reply with an R.S.V.P”,

An evening of elegance with such liberal libation,

How can I not accept such a gracious invitation?

I shall go for the nibbles.

 

So, posh frock at the ready & matching heels & bag,

Hair & make-up in place, converting Lady from hag,

Off I go to Hob-Nob, with all those who deem shine,

For an evening of pretence, champagne & old wine,

I just hope there are nibbles.

 

The people are beautiful & background music is cool,

There´s mingling going on, around grand patio & pool,

Flutes of crystal, bubbling golden & so suitably chilled,

Penguin clad waiters ensuring, that all glasses are filled,

I espy the tables with nibbles.

 

The long tables are laden, with silver & the finest of fare,

Caviar, lobsters, oysters, so much, it´s hard not to stare,

An elegant gent next to me asked, “Having fun my dear?”

“Actually”, I said, “I´m a girl who prefers peanuts & beer”,

I am only here for the nibbles.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment