Monday 24 December 2012

ROAD TO SPAIN:



Let me hear your voice calling my name from the scatterlings of stars,
Guide me through those distant planets of Saturnus, Jupiter & Mars,
Show me your compassionate smile within the golden sunshine´s rays,
 Let me take your moon-beamed fingers to guide my mysterious way.
For I am on my long lonely way, I´m now on that dusty road to Spain,
Where for my love for you, my sorry unforgiving antipathy I sadly feign.

You have loved me beneath those warm dusky & perfumed olive groves,
Where turtle doves weep & the ancient sheep are driven in dusty droves,
Where guitars are softly strummed & bulls are tortured for the fun of men,
Where Quixote ambled & flowed from the great Cervantes inky-quilled pen,
For I am now so lost, I´m on that bloody, labyrinthic & stony road to Spain.
Where love is in constant historic battle with disappointment & sorry pain.

I am stuck between your strange foreign world & the world that I call mine,
In this land of constant noisy fiestas, stamping flamenco & rough red wine,
A place where all time is lost in the loving past, has frozen & totally ceased,
For now I am stuck, I am on that long winding road, to Hades-hot old Spain,
Where I have absolutely nothing to lose & where I have even less to gain.

I have drunk deep of your crimson wine & learned well your mother tongue,
I have rested my head upon your pillow where the grapes have sweetly hung,
I have kept your home, borne your babes, have smiled your sweet kind smile,
I have changed who I am beyond recognition & have followed to suit your style,
For now I am torn, I am on those cross-roads that lead to fading ancient Spain,
Where all this doubt & unwanted baggage is going & beginning to ebb & wane.

I am at the end now; I have given my soul, my body, my mind & my absolute all,
I have given you my spring & my summer, now I´m giving you my end & fading fall,
With my last farewell, I welcome my winter season & at long and anticipated last,
I welcome the place where I can make peace with you & my long unforgotten past,
For now I am at peace, I am on that long sweet road, the one that leads out of Spain,
Knowing that my bones, upon this Spanish road, shall not be buried nor deeply lain.

No comments:

Post a Comment