Wednesday 21 November 2012

TWO BEERS:



On entering, I see him sitting in the pub all alone,
At a chrome table for two & far away from his home,
Sitting in a country not his, but of his own choosing,
He sits in front of two icy beers, deep in his musing.

On my entering I greet him & nodding he smiles,
As the pub´s full, he invites me to sit for awhile,
Until another suitable table is available for me,
But he looks so sad; I stay, when a table came free.

With music & chat the night flew by in less than a tick,
The old fellow with two beers told me to call him Nick,
I listened to the colourful stories of his interesting life,
Of all his adventures & the recent loss of Suzy his wife.

At the mention of his wife Suzy, sad tears filled his eye,
I asked him, “Nick, You’re alone, so please tell me why,
There were two beers sitting on this table of chrome?”
Looking down he replied, “So folk won´t think I´m all alone.”




No comments:

Post a Comment