Tuesday 27 November 2012

FAREWELL OLD SPANISH TOWN:



I bid you fond farewell, adios you sad old Spanish town,
Oh you, of black-oil-slicked beach & gypsy face of brown,
Of those angry olive eyes that I have so come to despise,
I feel your painful shame, seeing you in your sorry demise.

Walking through the ancient, grey & silently dawned streets,
The waking struggling sunshine emerging in cold cobbled pleats,
My only company, the black town rats & oily crisp flying papers,
And toffee-coloured cockroaches in their scuttling sunrise capers.

Mocking me, the hurdy-gurdy flamenco of harsh Spanish voices,
Echoing their wailings & at my leaving, shouts “ole´ ole´”& rejoices,
At the whistling music of the whiplashed Levante & kicked rolling tins,
I wend my way around my lost Spanish past & the overfilled foul bins.

I traipse through the morning´s aching forgotten stained pavements,
The prayer on my tear stained lips, is but a silent thankful statement,
Farewell, adieu, adios & goodbye, I say to you, old grey Spanish town,
Gracias & thank you for nothing & for all you have given this old clown.

No comments:

Post a Comment